In this post, we’ll show you how to unlock the bootloader on any Sony Xperia smartphone. This OEM, dubbed the “uncomfortable middle child” of the smartphone industry, has struggled to gain traction. Despite this, it has managed to develop a significant presence in this area and maintain a devoted fan base. Even so, this particular market has been able to help this organization grow in the greatest way imaginable.
In a similar vein, Sony’s devices, while not very attractive, have great build quality. However, it has yet to catch up in terms of customized development. Instead, it has made things significantly more difficult for computer enthusiasts. This is due to the fact that, whilst a conventional Android device may be rooted by flashing the Magisk ZIP installer using TWRP or patching and flashing the stock boot.img via Fastboot, a Sony device cannot. Is it feasible to get the bootloader unlocked?
Well, things have taken a somewhat different route this time, but at least you were able to complete chores without difficulty. In this regard, the regular fastboot oem unlock or fastboot flashing unlock does not work with Sony devices. Instead, you’ll need to generate an unlock code for your smartphone, which you’ll then enter to finish the unlocking process. And in this lesson, we’ll show you how to do precisely that. So, without further ado, let’s get started unlocking the bootloader on any Sony Xperia device. Join me on this journey.
Unlocked Bootloader’s Advantages and Drawbacks
There are several advantages to unlocking the bootloader. For example, you may use a custom recovery like TWRP to replace the device’s stock recovery. You might possibly get administrator rights or access to the system partition. This may be accomplished by using Magisk to root your smartphone. After that, you may install Magisk Modules, Xposed Framework, Substratum Themes, and other things.
Performing these modifications, however, may come with certain dangers. The device’s warranty may be voided, and all data on the device will be erased. Furthermore, WideVine L1 will be downgraded to L3, which means you won’t be able to stream films in HD on Netflix or other services. So, if that’s all well with you, let’s get started on unlocking the bootloader on your Sony Xperia mobile.
On any Sony Xperia device, how to unlock the bootloader?
To make things easier to grasp, we’ve divided the instructions into sections. Make careful you follow the steps in the exact order they were given. Droidwin and its members will not be held liable if a thermonuclear war occurs, your alarm fails to wake you up, or anything happens to your device or data as a result of following the procedures below.
Check Sony Bootloader Unlockability: STEP 1
The bootloader on every Xperia smartphone could not be opened. While the majority of them offer this feature, there is a handful that does not. So, first and foremost, make sure that the bootloader on your Sony smartphone can be unlocked. Here’s how you could go about it:
- To access the Service menu, open the dialer and enter the following code:
- Now go to Service Info > Configuration > Rooting Status to check your rooting status.
- Check the state of Bootloader unlock next to it. If the answer is yes, you may unlock the bootloader on your Xperia mobile.
- If, on the other hand, the response is No or the status section is blank, you will be unable to complete the unlocking procedures below.
Obtain a Sony Xperia Unlock Code: STEP 2
- You must now obtain the unlock code for your Xperia smartphone. To do so, go to the Sony Unlocking Bootloader Page and down to the bottom.
- From the left-hand menu, choose your device.
- Then, in the field provided, type your device’s IMEI ID. Enter the first of your device’s IMEIs if it has two.
- After that, check the two acknowledgements at the bottom of the page and click Submit.
- Your IMEI ID will now be paired with a Bootloader Unlock Code. Copy the code and paste it into Notepad (or any other place of your choice).
On the Sony Xperia, enable USB Debugging: STEP 3
Then, on your Sony device, enable USB Debugging. This is required for your PC to identify your device in ADB Mode. But what is the significance of ADB? We’ll use ADB mode to boot your Sony Xperia device into Fastboot and then follow with the bootloader unlocking steps. To begin, navigate to Settings > About Phone > Tap on the Build Number 7 times to return to Settings > System > Developer Options > USB Debugging > Enable.
Download and install ADB and Fastboot: STEP 4
On your PC, install the Android SDK Platform Tools. Google’s official ADB and Fastboot binaries are available here. I would recommend switching to this one if you have any other third-party utilities installed. Once it’s installed, unzip the platform-tools folder to a comfortable location on your computer.
Switch the Sony Xperia to Fastboot mode : STEP 5
In order to unlock the bootloader on your Sony Xperia handset, you must first boot it into Fastboot Mode. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Connect your device to your computer via a USB cable. Ensure that USB Debugging is turned on.
- Then, in the URL box, type CMD and press Enter to get to the platform-tools folder. As a consequence, the Command Prompt will open.
- To boot your Xperia smartphone into Fastboot Mode, use the following command in the CMD window.
adb reboot bootloader
Unlock Xperia Bootloader using Unlock Code: STEP 6
- It’s now time to unlock your Sony device’s bootloader. Make sure your gadget is in Fastboot mode and linked to your computer via USB connection.
- Then, in the CMD window, type the following command, replacing CODE with the number you acquired in STEP 2.
fastboot oem unlock 0xCODE
- Because the code in my case was C4AA5DE9F1721681, the above command transforms to C4AA5DE9F1721681.
fastboot oem unlock 0xC4AA5DE9F1721681
- That is all there is to it. The procedure is now complete. If the device does not automatically reboot to the OS, you can use the command below to do so.
That concludes our lesson on how to unlock the bootloader on any Sony Xperia smartphone. Please let us know in the comments area if you have any queries concerning the aforementioned processes. We will answer with a solution as soon as possible.