We will walk you through the steps to unlock the bootloader on any Motorola smartphone in this detailed guide. This OEM’s path has been largely underappreciated. Its remarkable Moto G series has always been well received. In the same vein, the firm operates an Android One range of smartphones. These devices provide a clean and stock experience while also ensuring speedier Android updates. The corporation then ventured into the unexplored areas.
The choice to send fans on a nostalgic voyage by reintroducing the ever-popular Razr smartphone is a prime example of this. Overall, despite the fierce competition, the firm has been able to create and maintain a devoted customer base. Owners of Moto devices, on the other hand, are always seeking ways to get more out of their devices. If you fall into this category, you’ve come to the correct spot. This article will teach you how to unlock the bootloader on your Motorola handset and fully utilize its capabilities. Continue reading.
Table of Contents
What exactly is a bootloader?
A bootloader is a piece of software that instructs the operating system which programs it needs to load during startup. In a similar vein, it enables you to boot into recovery mode on your device. Most OEMs provide their smartphones with a locked bootloader by default. Their explanation is rather simple on their part. They only want users to utilize the default OS environment they’ve set up for them.
While this is understood, a locked bootloader prevents you from fully using the device’s capabilities. This is why many techies opt to go on a journey of bespoke development. The first condition is that the bootloader is unlocked. And we’ll teach you how to accomplish just that in this tutorial. But first, let’s go over the advantages and disadvantages of unlocking the bootloader on your Motorola handset.
The Advantages and Drawbacks of an Unlocked Bootloader
A bootloader that has been unlocked comes with a slew of benefits. To begin, you’ll be able to flash a variety of custom ROMs as well as install a custom recovery such as TWRP. You may potentially get administrator privileges on your device and access to the system partition in the same way. This is made possible by using Magisk to root your smartphone. You can use Magisk Modules, Xposed Framework, and a variety of additional mods after you’re rooted.
All of these modifications, however, introduce a few unwelcome hazards. Your warranty will be invalidated after you’ve unlocked the bootloader. Similarly, the procedure will erase all data from your device. Similarly, apps such as Netflix, Google Play, and Pokemon Go may not work as planned. The entire procedure is dangerous and, if not done correctly, might result in a boot loop or soft-brick. With that stated, if you’re ready to get started, follow these steps to unlock the bootloader on your Motorola phone.
Unlocking the Bootloader on Any Motorola Moto Phone
There are a few prerequisites you must meet before proceeding with the procedure. As a result, double-check that you’ve completed all of the conditions.
- First and foremost, make a backup of your whole device’s info.
- Then, on your PC, install the Android SDK Platform Tools.
- Also, on your PC, download and install the Motorola USB Drivers
- That is all there is to it. You may now unlock the bootloader on your Motorola cellphone by following the steps below.
Enable USB Debugging | OEM Unlocking | STEP 1
You’ll need to activate USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking on your device first. The former is required for your PC to identify your device in ADB mode. The latter choice, on the other hand, permits you to complete the unlocking procedure. To get started, go to Settings > About Phone > 7 times tap on Build Number > Return to Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options > Developer Options > Enable both USB debugging and OEM unlocking.
Switch to Fastboot mode on your Motorola smartphone | STEP 2
To unlock the bootloader on your Motorola smartphone, go to the next step, which is to boot it into Fastboot Mode. Here’s how you could go about it:
- Connect your device to your computer via a USB cable. Ensure that OEM Unlock and Debugging are turned on.
- Then, in the URL box, type CMD and press Enter to get to the platform-tools folder. The Command Prompt will open as a result of this.
- To boot your device into Fastboot Mode, use the following command in the CMD window.
adb reboot bootloader
- To test the Fastboot connection, execute the following command:
- The connection is successful if you obtain the device ID followed by the fastboot keyword. Otherwise, double-check your driver installation.
Obtain the Unlock Data | STEP 3
- To unlock the bootloader on your Motorola handset, you’ll need to obtain hold of the Unlock Data. In the CMD window, type the following command:
fastboot oem get unlock data
- You should receive five lines of alphanumeric strings after that.
- All five lines must be copied, but the bootloader keyword must be removed, as well as any spaces between them. To do so, copy all five lines of instructions and paste them into a text editor such as Notepad.
- Then remove the ‘(bootloader)’ prefix, as well as the spaces between each line. As indicated in the figure, the end output should be a single line of command. Copy it since you’ll need it in the following stage.
Obtain the Motorola Unlock Key | STEP 4
You must now email the unlock data to Motorola, who will then provide you with the Unlock Key. Follow these steps:
- To begin, go to Motorola’s Bootloader Unlock website and log in with your username and password.
- Copy the Unlock Data and paste it in the place provided on the sixth page. This is the same code you obtained in STEP 3.
- input the code to unlock the device
- Then, on the Can my device be unlocked button, select Yes.
- This will lead you to the section about the License Agreement. Choose ‘I Agree’ from the drop-down menu.
The REQUEST UNLOCK KEY” button should be visible. Select it by clicking on it.
At this point, Motorola will send you an email containing the Unlock Key to the email address you used to sign up for this website. Check your Inbox for the key, and if it isn’t there, look in the Promotions and Spam folders as well.
Unlock the bootloader on your Motorola handset | STEP 5
- It’s now time to use the Unlock Key that you just obtained to unlock the bootloader on your Motorola smartphone.
- Ensure that your device is still in Fastboot Mode and is linked to your computer via USB connection. As described in the previous stages, you should have also launched the CMD window within the platform-tools folder.
- So, in the Command window, write the command below and press Enter. Simply replace the UNLOCK KEY in the following command with the Motorola key obtained in STEP 4.
fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK KEY
- The procedure will now begin and should take only a few moments. After that, you may use the following command to reboot your device to the OS (if it doesn’t happen automatically):
That is all there is to it. The procedures to unlock the bootloader on your Motorola handset were as follows. Please let us know if you have any questions about the aforementioned processes in the comments area below. Finally, here are some iPhone Tips and Tricks, PC Tips and Tricks, and Android Tips and Tricks you should look into.